Monday, January 16, 2017

Regular Show: Saying Goodbye

Regular Show premiered on September 6, 2010. It was my last day of summer vacation and I'd be starting the sixth grade the next day. I'd been seeing countless promos and spots on for the show on Cartoon Network for past few weeks and couldn't wait to watch it. Mainly because it was a new show and for most of you who have been here before know or have gotten the jist that I've been watching Cartoon Network religiously since 2004, and if there was a new show on the network, you'd better believe I'd be watching it. The previous day, I was visiting some family in New York and  my cousin Ryan and I were using my Aunt's computer. We were both excited for Regular Show to premiere and spent the next hour watching the pilot over and over again on the Cartoon Network website. Aside from it being funny, there was something about Regular Show that intrigued me, but I didn't know what it was. Flash forward to next day. At 7:59, I run downstairs to my basement, turn on the TV and watched the latest episode of Adventure Time, and right after that at 8:15, Regular Show premiered with "The Power". After watching "The Power", well, 10-year-old me didn't know what think. While I loved the episode,  I was in complete and utter shock with some of the language used. Mordecai and Rigby's various lines of dialogue like "How in the H are we gonna fix this S?", "THE $40 YOU TWO CONNED OUT OF ME WITH THAT STUPID KEYBOARD CRAP", "Don't look at our crotches while we synchronize our watches!", and most famously "But he's gonna be pissed!" sent me into shock and confusion. I kept on thinking "Oh man! Did Rigby just say pissed? They can say that Cartoon Network?". I thought it was the biggest deal in the world since, you know, I was 10 and thought "pissed" and "crap" were swears. Going to school that week, it seemed like everyone who saw the show's premiere that night had the same reaction and couldn't get past it. On the way Math, me, along with co-founder Benny and a friend ours was talking to us about it. "Did you guys see Regular Show on Monday? Rigby said "But he's gonna be pissed!", While watching the first season throughout it's initial airing, Regular Show continued to shock me with each and every episode. I kept thinking "Wow! How are they getting away with all of this on Cartoon Network! This show should be on Adult Swim or MTV or something!" (Oh man, if you guys thought my reaction to Regular Show was overtop, you've should seen my reaction to watching Quintel's second short film "2 In The AM PM), and that was one of the primary reasons I liked the show. I liked how it kept pushing the envelope each and every episode with the humor. It gave the audience something much different than what the other shows on the network at the time was offering.

Regular Show quickly became my new favorite show, as well as most of our staff's favorite show. We were constantly quoting lines from the show and using the catchphrases in our everyday conversations (we still do this day). I had the entire dialogue of "The Power" memorized and constantly do the episode out loud in all of the character's voices. We liked the show so much that we started writing our episodes of the show. One of them we even mailed in to Cartoon Network Studios. It was called "Mordecai Meets His Match". Looking back on it now, it was so awful but we were super proud of it at time and we were super excited that we were actually mailing something to Cartoon Network. Obviously, our episode was never taken into consideration (which I don't blame them for, it was episode that a group of sixth graders wrote) but "Yes Dude Yes" actually ended up being pretty similar to what we wrote for "Mordecai Meets His Match", so who knows? Maybe they did. I liked Regular Show so much that I remember completely geeking out when I reply on a comment from J.G. Quintel on deviantART when I used to be a active user on the site. I liked the show so much that blog was pretty much semi-dedicated to the show. As we grew older and transitioned from Middle School to High School we found ourselves relating to the characters so much more as the show progressed (Believe me, our very own Christian Jusino to this day continues to pull "Mordecai's") and finding ourselves in similar situations. Well, you know, without all the weirdness of course.

Flash forward to the present. It's 2017. I'm 17 now and closing in on the second semester of my senior year of High School. While most of haven't been able to keep up with show for a variety of reasons, Regular Show has still remained as my favorite show. Over the summer while the whole fiasco of what was going on with the show was going on, I had a feeling it was going to wrap up soon. It didn't want that be case, as many of you also didn't want that to be case. Losing your favorite show that you've grown up with is one of the worst feelings you can get. But by the time October rolled around and it was officially announced that the show was ending after Season 8, I was ready to accept it. I figured "Well, all good things must come to an end at some point. And there's no better time than to end it now". I got start Middle School with the show, and now I get to end High School with it (even though graduation's not for another 5 months), and that sounded fine to me.

There will always be a special place in my heart for Regular Show. It's one the shows that brought CN out of the dark ages, helped the network mature a little with some of the shows that followed it, introduced me to so much 80's and 90's music that I ended up loving, and gave me characters I could relate and grow with. I mean, I'd never thought I'd relate so much to a talking 6 foot Blue Jay and a talking Racoon, but I guess there's a first for everything. I personally want to thank J.G. Quintel and rest of the show's amazing cast and crew for providing us with such an amazing show. I hope you all stick around at CN. The network use some more good shows from talented people such as yourselves. But regardless, I wish you all nothing but the best on your future endeavors. Thank you so much for Regular Show. Thank you for my favorite show.

The series finale of Regular Show airs tonight at 6pm on CN. Don't miss it.



0 comments:

Post a Comment